I’ve been searching for a moderately healthy whole wheat pumpkin recipe. I didn’t want all nuts-and-berries-granola, and I didn’t want a recipe that called for two pounds of butter and a sack of sugar, either. So, I came up with this recipe, which uses just a touch of white flour (feel free to us all whole wheat) and while it has sugar, it’s not too much for a muffin or quick bread. If you need a cupcake for a potluck, this would serve nicely. My family likes them for breakfast or midday snack.
Whole Wheat Pumpkin, Apple, Raisin Muffins
2 cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup all purpose white flour
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp allspice
1 tblspn baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
3 eggs beaten
¼ cup shredded apple (including skin)
2 cups pumpkin (canned or fresh)
½ cup raisins
¾ cup milk
Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat oil, eggs and sugars together until blended. Add apple, pumpkin and raisins. Add dry ingredients alternating with the milk. Mix until just blended, lumps are ok.
- Place paper muffin cups in muffin pan and fill each with a third cup of batter.
- Bake 20 mins. Let cool on wire rack.
Yields 24 muffins
- Use 1 Tablespoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice in lieu of individual spices
- Substitute 1 stick butter for the oil, less moist muffins, but they taste better
- May add nuts (almonds or walnuts are nice), about ¼ cup
- Can be used as a quick bread batter, simply pour batter into a greased 9×5 loaf pan, bake approx. 40 mins.